What Is FISH?
Welcome to the FISH site!
FISH is the innovative Christian Formation program at St. Andrew's Episcopal Church in Arlington, VA.
Because we believe that families come in all shapes and sizes, and because we believe that our faith makes us who we are, all week long, we FISH. We integrate what we do on Sundays with what we do at home. The FISH site can help.
How Do We FISH?
- Come to this site every week (the site is updated on Wednesdays by 4pm).
- Review the Gospel reading from the previous Sunday (on the Education page). Decide how to use the Conversation Starter and the Prayer Starter.
- Find ways to put your faith to work on the Outreach page.
- Worship with your parish family as often as you're able to. Worship is how we make God important in our lives, and how we experience the mystery of God's power and love. Learn more about Episcopal worship, and worship at St. Andrew's, here.
- Attend Sunday FISHing events (next date: Parish Renewal Weekend, October 23-25)
What is Sunday FISHing?
Sunday FISHing is when we meet all together, for lunch and teaching. Sunday FISHing is every four to six weeks, after worship and Children's Choir practice. We bring a dish to share and plan to stay until 1:00.
Having regular faith practices, that they do together at home, is one of the most important gifts that parents can give their children. Mealtime prayers, bedtime prayers, special Advent and Lenten programs, reading books together and talking about where you see God in the story - any or all of these "count." Our friends at Building Faith (Virginia Theological Seminary) have published an outstanding collection of faith practices for home; experiment, to find the one that comes most naturally to your family. Any of these may seem awkward at first, but will be less so with practice.